Architectural resources at Fort Campbell include standing historic structures, buildings, districts, and objects and are managed through the cultural resources program in accordance with federal laws, regulations, and guidelines.
The criteria used to evaluate cultural resources for eligibility for listing in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) are:
Associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of history (Criterion A).
Associated with the lives of persons significant to our past (Criterion B).
Embody the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction, or represent the work of a master, possess high artistic values, or represent a significant and distinguishable entity whose components might lack individual distinction (Criterion C).
Have yielded, or have the potential to yield, information important to prehistory or history (Criterion D).
Architectural resources are usually evaluated under Criteria A, B, or C whereas archaeological sites are generally evaluated under Criterion D.
Generally, properties must be 50 years old to be eligible for the NRHP, but those that have achieved significance within the past 50 years may be eligible under Criteria Consideration G, which states that a property achieving significance within the last 50 years can be eligible if it is of exceptional importance.
In addition to meeting one or more of these criteria, a resource must retain integrity to be considered a historic property. Integrity is the authenticity of the physical identity, as evidenced by the survival of characteristics that existed during the resource’s period of significance. Historic properties must retain enough of their historic character or appearance to be recognizable and to convey the reasons for their significance. The seven aspects of integrity are:
One historic district, two historic objects, and four historic buildings have been determined to be eligible for listing in the NRHP with concurrence by the appropriate State Historic Preservation Offices (SHPOs).
Clarksville Base Historic District
In the late 1940s,the federal government selected over 2,000 acres in the southeastern corner of Fort Campbell for the construction of the Clarksville Base atomic weapons storage facility. This compound at Fort Campbell housed part of the U.S. nuclear arsenal during the Cold War. The high-security Clarksville Base was constructed within an isolated portion of the Fort Campbell military reservation between 1947 and 1948. Its independent power and water treatment plans made the facility a self-sufficient unit. A pair of chain link fences, the inner one charged with high voltage, separated “The Birdcage,” as it was locally known, from the rest of Fort Campbell.
From 1948 through 1969, Clarksville Base was managed as a separate facility from the Army base. After 1952, it was managed by the Navy and served as one of several storage areas for use as part of the government’s atomic research and development programs.
The nuclear operation at Clarksville Base shut down in 1965 when the Atomic Energy Commission transferred nuclear weapon modification duties to the Pantex Plant in Texas. From 1965 to 1969, the Defense Atomic Support Agency used the Clarksville Base for storage of classified materials.
Click here for the history of Clarksville Base:
State Line Marker No. 20. State line marker no. 20 is located in Stewart County, Tennessee and Christian County, Kentucky; it is one of two known state line markers on Fort Campbell. White limestone, from the quarries at Bowling Green, Kentucky, was used for the state line markers. The stone marker is one of 63
stone posts placed every 5 miles.
The marker relates to the political history of the Kentucky and Tennessee and the dispute between the states regarding their common border. The dispute began with the unsystematic survey conducted by Thomas Walker in 1779. The dispute was resolved after a series of legislative battles and new surveys in 1820. In 1858-1859, commissioners from the two states met to mark the boundary with stone markers.
The Soldier’s Memorial. The Soldier’s Memorial statue is located situated in front of the Soldier’s Chapel on Desert Storm Avenue, between 30th and 35th Streets in Montgomery County, Tennessee. The life size sculpture, made of concrete over reinforce metal, depicts a soldier in combat gear kneeling down, holding a gun in his right hand, a helmet in his left, and a knapsack across his back. His posture is one of deference or prayer.
The Soldier’s Memorial is the work of Enoch Tanner Wickham (1883-1970), a local sculptor recognized as a significant American folk artist. Wickham has little education, dropping out of school at an early age after the death of his father. Wickham, by profession a farmer, created about 40 statues between 1952, when he was 69, and 1970, when he died at the age of 87. Although his statues, constructed out of concrete reinforced with metal, bore the marks of an untrained artist, they were nonetheless imposing and recognizable for the artist’s individualistic style and use of materials.
The Parrish House. The Parrish House (Building 5001), located on 101 Screaming Eagles Boulevard, was constructed in 1833 as a two-story log cabin; major additions and renovations occurred in 1850 with the construction of a two-story Greek Revival style for the new front elevation, in 1885 with a two-room one-story Italianate style addition, and in 1950 with the addition of a sun room and laundry room. The Greek Revival addition in 1850 concealed the log cabin and transformed the structure into a grander residence with style and character. A row of trees lining the approach from the main road were planted at this time. It is the oldest known surviving structure at Fort Campbell that predates the Army facility.
The original owner was David Parrish who constructed the log cabin and named the farm Aspen Plains. David Parrish has fought against the British in the War of 1812; his son, John, was a prominent farmer and horse breeder. Aspen Plains was left to his son James, when David Parrish died in 1876. James Parrish sold the farm to John W. Jones in 1885. Between 1947 and 2014, the house was the residence of the Commanding General and other senior officers at the post. Currently, the Parrish House serves as the office of Survivor Outreach Services (SOS).
The Childers House. The Childers House (Building 6081) is located along Mabry Road, in Montgomery County, Tennessee and was constructed during the years 1938-1939. The two-story house is built in the Colonial Revival style. The main house exhibits a finer quality of craftsmanship than the two-story rear addition which contains a garage and second kitchen and is connected by a narrow passageway.
The house was constructed by James Glenn Childers who purchased the property in 1931. Mr. Childers was a wealthy man, building the Childers House for $50,000 but he was somewhat of a recluse. He deliberately dressed down to appear to be an ordinary farmer rather than someone from the upper class. The Childers house was only occupied for two years before the U.S. Army took ownership of the property.
The Durrett House. The Durrett House(Building 1541), commonly called the Log Cabin, is located in the Cole Park neighborhood of Fort Campbell in Montgomery County, Tennessee and was constructed in 1932-1933. The Durrett House is two-story residence constructed of different materials, including wood frame that covers parts of the sides and rear facades, a stone chimney, stone masonry walls, and hand-hewn logs from felled red and white chestnuts in Stewart County.
Winfield Durrett, a wood-working craftsman, began planning construction of the home in 1930. Durrett constructed much of the home himself and the family moved into the house on March 4, 1933. The family lived in the house from 1933 until 1942 when the Government acquired it. From 1907 until 1974, the Durrett family owned the historic Ringgold Mill, and was active in of their community.
Lincoln Elementary School. Lincoln Elementary School (Building 3709) is located at 4718 Polk Road on Fort Campbell and was completed in 1952. It originally served elementary and middle
school students. The school is a one-story T-shaped floor plan with a concrete foundation, built-up flat roof and brick veneer walls. By 1969, with the construction of other on base schools, Lincoln was able to convert to serving only students through grade 5.
Because Lincoln Elementary School was constructed after the integration of the military in 1948, the school never existed as a segregated facility; rather, it was intended and constructed as an integrated school from its inception. As such, Lincoln Elementary School is possibly the first school constructed as an integrated facility in Kentucky and in the South. Lincoln was listed in the 1952-1953 Kentucky Public School Directory as having white and black students. This was two years before the passage of Brown vs. Board of Education, which indicates that Lincoln was among the first, if not the first, desegregated school built in the South.